What do Premier League fans think of VAR? A full breakdown of the Compare.bet survey results
A March 2018 survey of 2,000 UK football fans commissioned by Compare.bet found, despite negative sentiment surrounding VAR in the media, the majority of supporters are in agreement that Video Assistant Referees will have a positive impact on the sport. Here's a full breakdown of the survey results:
1. Which football team do you support?
|Brighton & Hove Albion||1.85%|
|West Bromwich Albion||1.05|
|West Ham United||2.15|
|I don't support a particular team||6.60|
2. When watching football, how many times per match do you find yourself disagreeing with a refereeing decision?
3. Do you often feel you could do just as good a job - if not, better - of refereeing than most referees?
4. Do you know what VAR stands for?
5. What does VAR stand for?
|Virtual Analysis Referral||4.28|
|Video Analysis Referee||11.08|
|Video Assistant Referee||75.06|
|Virtual Assistant Referee||8.40|
|Video Arbitration Register||0.25|
6. Do you think a VAR (Video Assistant Referee) is positive or negative for football?
|Neither good nor bad||17.15|
|I don't know||4.00|
7. Do you think wrong refereeing decisions make for good talking points during/after a football match?
8. Do you think football would be missing out on a lot of interesting talking points or debates if refereeing mistakes were taken away?
9. Which of the following scenarios do you think VAR has been the most helpful in reviewing?
|Direct red cards||38.85|
|I don't know||12.45|
10. Do you think VAR should be used to review any other match decisions?
|Deciding if a foul merits a yellow card||26.80|
|Spotting violent conduct like elbows or stamps||55.10%|
|Deciding if a foul merits a free kick||24.55|
|Determining which way a throw in should go||14.15|
|Determining whether a corner or a goal kick should be given||24.05|
11. Do you feel that on balance, your team has suffered rather than benefitted from refereeing mistakes?
12. To what extent do you agree or disagree with the following statement? 'I think having a VAR on standby will make referees worse/lazier, knowing they have something to 'fall back on' when making decisions'
|Neither agree nor disagree||28.95|
13. Do you think protests from players ever influence referees to overturn their decisions?
14. Do you think that VAR will eliminate the influence of players on refereeing decisions?
15. Do you think that referees typically give more favourable decisions to the 'bigger' clubs in the Premier League?
16. Do you think VAR will level the playing field for 'smaller' Premier League clubs?
Which of the current Premier League teams has benefited most from favourable refereeing decisions?
|Brighton & Hove Albion||2.40|
|West Bromwich Albion||1.05|
|West Ham United||1.00|
|None of the above||6.10|
|I don't know||44.75|
18. Which controversial football moment missed by referees would you most like to go back and use VAR on?
|Maradona's "Hand of God" goal for Argentina against England at the 1986 World Cup||56.85|
|Frank Lampard's disallowed goal for England against Germany at the 2010 World Cup||41.45|
|Luis Garcia's "Ghost Goal" for Liverpool against Chelsea in the Champions League semi-final in 2005||10.60|
|Sol Campbell's disallowed goal for England against Portugal in the Euro 2004 quarter-finals||20.80|
|Thierry Henry's handball for France against Ireland in a 2009 World Cup playoff||26.80|
|Josip Simunic's three yellow cards for Croatia against Australia at the 2006 World Cup||8.00|
|Holland's Nigel De Jong's foul on Spain's Xabi Alonso in the 2010 World Cup Final||8.80|
|Pedro Mendes' disallowed 50-yard goal for Tottenham against Man United in 2005||12.30|
|Darren Bent's goal via a beach-ball deflection for Sunderland against Liverpool in 2009||7.50|
|Liverpool's Luis Suarez's bite on Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic in 2013||23.75|
|Holland's Ronald Koeman's foul on England's David Platt in a 1993 World Cup qualifier||10.50|
|Arsenal's Kieran Gibbs being sent off for handball in 2014, despite the handball being committed by Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain||16.70|
|Man City's Ben Thatcher's elbow on Portsmouth's Pedro Mendes in 2006||10.80|
19. If VAR had been available throughout history, do you think the world of football would be very different?
20. Have you ever shouted at a referee whilst at a live football match or at the TV because of a decision you thought was wrong?
|Yes - at a live match||10.55|
|Yes - at the TV||36.65|
|Yes - both||33.60|
21. Do you think the stoppages caused by using a VAR are or could be detrimental to the game?
22. Do you think VAR does or could have a negative effect on match-day atmosphere?
23. Which sports do think have the best example of video refereeing?
24. How easy or difficult do you think the job of being a football referee is?
|Neither difficult nor easy||11.65|
25. Do you think you could be a Premier League referee?
26. In Champions League and Europa League matches, two additional assistant referees are positioned alongside each goal to watch for penalty-area incidents. Do you think this 'fifth official' plays an important role in making key match decisions?
27. If VAR was in place, do you think having an additional 'fifth official' would still be necessary?