Poker has been enjoyed in casinos and poker rooms around the world for well over 100 years, and now it’s just as popular online. Whether you’re looking to play Texas hold’em or seven card stud, and whether you want to play poker for free or win real money, there are plenty of top sites to choose from. Our expert review team has scoured the internet to find the best places to play poker online, creating a handpicked list of their favourites. All you need to do is compare poker sites, pick out your favourite and start playing!
New Customer Offer
New players only. £20 free bonus: includes $1 immediate bonus & $31 in tournament tickets. Bonus will be granted gradually throughout 7 days after claiming. Each part of the bonus expires after 24 hrs. Immediate bonus may be withdrawn after a player has accumulated 2.5 bonus points for every $1 of the received bonus amount. This offer may not be combined with any other offer. Wagering requirements vary by game
18+. Full T&Cs apply. Please gamble responsibly.
Get £20 FreeClaim Bonus
What should I consider when choosing an online poker site?
When you’re choosing an online poker site, you’ll want to make sure it offers the right variation for you. There are a handful of different poker games, and the best sites will offer a range of these variations to cater for all players.
- Texas Hold’em
This is perhaps the most popular poker variation, especially for poker tournaments. Texas hold’em is a community game, and can be played with 2-10 players. The player with the best five-card hand at the end of the game wins.
Omaha is similar to Texas hold’em, but players can only use three community cards on the table to make their hand.
- Omaha Hi-Lo
Also know as Omaha High-Low, this variation is basically the same as standard Omaha poker. The key difference is that, in this game, the pot is shared between the player with the winning best hand and the player with the best qualifying low hand.
- Stud Poker
Stud poker — available as five, six and seven stud— sees players dealt a combination of face-up and face-down cards in multiple betting rounds. The number of cards will depend on the number variation you’re playing. Players bet after each round and should aim to finish with the best five-card hand.
- Draw Poker
There are a few different variations of ‘draw’ poker, but in all variations players will be dealt a complete hand before the first betting round. The aim is to get the best hand, and players can use cards from the deck to replace existing cards, betting after each draw. Five-card draw is often the first variation that new poker players learn, as it’s considered the most simple.
Your odds of winning at online poker will vary slightly depending on the poker game you’re playing, as you’ll have access to a different number of cards. Poker odds calculators are a great way of working out the odds of a potential hand, simply select the poker variation and select the cards.
The top poker sites will offer a range of different banking options, from debit card payments, to e-wallet options and prepaid cards. In fact, you’ll even be able to make deposits and withdrawals using Bitcoin at certain online poker operators. Beware of minimum and maximum deposit limits, as well as caps on withdrawals, as these will vary across casinos. You’ll find details of banking options and restrictions in the terms and conditions of each poker site.
There are plenty of poker bonuses to get your hands on. These are some of the most popular to give you some extra bang for your buck:
- FreerollsFreeroll bonuses give you the opportunity to win real money on poker games, without wagering any of your own cash. There’ll usually be a cap on how much you can win, or how much of your winnings you can withdraw, but this will be detailed in the site’s terms and conditions.
- Matched depositsDeposit match bonuses see poker sites offering their players a percentage of their deposits to use on the site, usually as a welcome bonus. While there will be a limit to the amount a poker site will pay in bonus funds, these limits are usually much higher than at with other online casino games. For example, Betfair Poker are offering 200% up to £1,000 to their new players
Start playing online poker
Follow these simple steps to start playing poker online.
- Compare Poker SitesThe sheer variety of poker sites on the market can be overwhelming, especially for beginners. Our expert team has found the best online poker sites available, so you can simply use our list to compare providers, pick your favourite, sign up and start playing.
- Sign UpFound a poker site that suits your playing preferences? Now it’s time to create an account. Follow our link to head straight to the registration page, where you’ll be asked to provide some personal information, such as your name, age and email address. It should only take a few minutes to sign up.
- Deposit and Claim Your BonusUnless you’ve been lucky enough to nab a no deposit bonus, you’ll need to deposit some funds into your online account before you can start playing. While the majority of casinos will credit your welcome bonus as soon as you deposit money, some might require you to manually activate it.
- Play Demo GamesIf you’re new to online poker, you might want to play demo games to familiarise yourself with the rules and betting rounds before you risk any of your own money. These demo games are also great if you just want to play poker for fun, or to try out new variations of the game.
- Play Real Money GamesGot to grips with free poker games? It’s time to move onto real money games- after all, no risk means no money. You needn’t worry about spending more than you can afford to lose, however, as the best online poker rooms implement measures to stop players gambling more than they can afford to lose.
Ready to play online poker?
Ready to try your hand at online poker games but not sure where to start? Take a look at our list of the top online poker operators to compare, find your favourite and start playing! Compare.bet will only recommend trustworthy sites, regulated by governing bodies, such as the UK Gambling Commission (UKGC), so you’re in safe hands.
Your Questions Answered
How do I know I’m playing at the best poker site?
The Compare.bet team works hard to review all aspects of a poker site before recommending them to you. We’ll consider a variety of factors, including game variations, bonuses and interface, and only list poker providers that come out on top. It’s up to you to compare sites and decide which most suits your playing preferences, but you’re certainly picking from the cream of the crop.
Can I watch an online poker game without playing?
Sure! Many top poker sites allow players to learn a little more about poker variations by watching example games. You can also play free demo games if you need extra help deciding which is for you.
How can I improve my online poker skills?
Poker is a combination of chance and strategy, so while skill will only get you so far, there are definitely some steps you can take to improve yours. Use free demo games to help you learn what to look out for in a poker hand, and when you should fold or risk placing a higher bet. Beware of any poker strategy tips you read online- you can’t guarantee that every tipster wants to help you.
Is it safe to play online poker?
Yes, providing you’re playing with a trustworthy, licensed poker site. All Compare.bet partner sites are fully regulated by governing bodies, such as the UKGC, so you can rest assured that you’re only playing at the best poker rooms on the market when you choose a site from our list. These sites will implement measures to prevent players betting more than they should to chasing their losses.
Can I play online poker on my mobile device?
Of course! The majority of online poker sites have either mobile apps or mobile-friendly versions of their websites so you can play online poker wherever you are. All you’ll need is an internet connection to access the same poker games available to desktop places on the go!