What is Skrill?
Skrill is an e-wallet that allows users to easily spend and send money online. Like PayPal and similar digital payment services, Skrill has become one of the leading banking options for many online casino players around the world, offering great security, fast withdrawals, and multi-functionality.
Skrill’s growth now supports 500 employees in the US and across Europe, and the service is used by millions of people in over 120 countries and 40 currencies. Its primary function is as a digital wallet, but account holders can also claim a Skrill Card, which allows users to withdraw cash from ATMs and pay for goods in stores.
In 2018, Skrill added cryptocurrency trading to its list of services. It is regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) in the UK.
A Brief History of Skrill
Skrill was founded under the name Moneybookers in London in 2001 by Daniel Klein and Benjamin Kullman. Moneybookers initially ran as an internet-focused payment platform and was regarded in 2007 as one of the top three e-payment solutions in Europe. A rebranding campaign in 2011 saw Skrill emerge as an established face in the e-wallet game.
In 2013, Skrill acquired the prepaid card service, Paysafecard, before being acquired itself in 2015 by what is now known as the Paysafe Group – a major multinational online payments company that already owned e-wallet rivals Neteller.
In recent years, Skrill has sponsored a number of high-profile football clubs, announcing a deal with AC Milan in 2020 and Leeds United in 2021. Roma’s Paulo Dybala is a Skrill brand ambassador.
Pros and Cons of Skrill
Skrill casinos offer customers lots of convenience when it comes to depositing and withdrawing to and from their account. It might not be the payment option for you though, so don’t just take our word for it, have a look at this list of pros and cons to see if it’s a good fit.
- Fast deposits – Transactions are authorized by the information linked to your Skrill account, such as a username and password. It means there’s no need to share your bank details with a casino site
- Great security – The ability to provide fast deposits then becomes a security provision. Since there’s no exchange of bank details, there are fewer opportunities for this information to be seized
- Instant withdrawals – Skrill is known as a fast withdrawal method, facilitating instant withdrawals in many cases
- Good availability – Many online casinos in the US recognize Skrill’s perks, so you shouldn’t have too much trouble finding a site that accepts it
- Free to use – Setting up a Skrill account is quick, easy, and most importantly, free
- High limits – Skrill has some of the highest limits on both deposits and withdrawals, but these may be kept in check by the casino
- Skrill 1-Tap – This Skrill feature speeds up deposits even further, with just one touch needed to confirm the transaction
- Various account perks – Skrill is more than an online casino payment method. As such, you’ll encounter numerous perks when you use your Skrill account, including the Skrill Card, the Skrill loyalty program, and more
- Fully regulated service – The FCA is one of the world’s leading financial service regulators, so you can be confident that Skrill is safe to use
- Fees – Although you won’t incur any fees for using Skrill at an online casino, there are fees associated with funding your Skrill account
- Exclusion from bonuses – Many casino sites exclude e-wallets from unlocking their deposit bonuses due to issues around transaction fees and using multiple accounts
- Account needed – It’s not a major issue, but you’ll need to create a Skrill account in order to use the service
- Other payment methods offer better availability – Availability is far from poor, but it’s not as widespread as other options like bank cards
Why Choose Skrill for Casino Payments?
Casinos with Skrill offer players three main benefits.
When it comes to selecting a payment method at a casino site, the number one priority for most is that it’s safe and secure. Well, Skrill users won’t have to worry — the company is regulated by the FCA, one of the financial world’s most respected bodies.
Security also extends to Skrill payments themselves. Unlike some other casino payment methods, Skrill customers won’t have to declare any sensitive bank details like account numbers, sort codes or security digits. Instead, users can authorize transactions by sharing information linked to their accounts such as a username or email address.
This means it’s harder for would-be hackers to access this information and extort it for their own financial gain. Now, this isn’t to say that hackers are more likely to do this with a payment method that does require this information, but many of our readers enjoy the peace of mind afforded by Skrill transactions.
Speed and Convenience
Keying in bank details is also cumbersome, so Skrill users will enjoy the speed and convenience of depositing via this method. You can download the Skrill app on your mobile device and move easily between that and your casino’s app to boost this perk even further.
If you do use both Skrill and casino mobile apps, you’ll also be able to benefit from Skrill 1-Tap, a unique feature that allows players to top up their accounts with just one touch of the screen. A word of warning though: the 1-Tap feature only accepts deposits in euros, and there are fees attached.
Every casino that accepts Skrill is known as a fast withdrawal casino, because it accepts a payment method that offers some of the quickest payouts in the business. With Skrill, withdrawal requests can be processed in an instant, meaning you might receive your funds just a few moments after the request. In any case, the longest you’ll likely need to wait for your money is 24 hours.
Be mindful that a fast withdrawal won’t be possible if you’re requesting funds at an online casino for the first time. You’ll first need to complete some identity checks so that the site can verify who you are. This will only be a requirement once, after which you’ll be able to enjoy fast withdrawals with Skrill.
Skrill casinos won’t charge you for using this method, but moving funds to and from your wallet will incur some fees — take a look at the table below.
||Depositing funds into Skrill account
||Withdrawing funds from Skrill account
||Up to 3.99%
||Up to 1.25%
||Up to 2.5%
||Up to 5%
It’s always free to receive money from another Skrill account, but there are a few other fees you should know about:
- Sending money from one Skrill account to another will incur a fee of 2.99%
- Sending money to an international Skrill account using a debit card will incur a fee up to 1%, and 2.99% when using a credit card
- Domestic money transfers will incur a fee up to 2%
- Currency conversions incur a fee of 3.99%
- Cryptocurrency conversions carry a 1.5% fee, but this can be downgraded to 1.3% depending on your status as a Skrill customer
- If you want to make use of the Skrill Card, there’s a €10 application fee as well as a €10 annual fee. ATM cash withdrawals using the card incur a fee of 1.75%
- Dormant account fees also apply if you don’t make a Skrill transaction every six months. This is set at €5 a month and will be deducted from your account balance
How to Add Funds to Your Skrill Account
Follow this step-by-step guide on how to add funds to your Skrill account:
- Once you’ve set-up your Skrill account, head over to the site’s Deposit section
- Select the payment method through which you’d like to deposit, bearing in mind the associated fees of each option
- Enter the amount you’d like to deposit and follow the on-screen prompts
- Wait for your funds to land. How quickly this takes depends on the payment method you’ve chosen — bank transfers can take up to five days, while debit cards are instant
Alternatives to Skrill
Skrill is just one of a number of payment methods available at the best US online casinos. Here are some of the others.
Visa and Mastercard
Every casino site will accept Visa and Mastercard deposits. These two providers are familiar names throughout the world, and while deposits are instant, withdrawal times can be as long as six working days. Users of the Visa Fast Funds service can however cut this down to 30 minutes in the best cases. Credit cards are still permitted at some casino sites in the US, but their presence in online gambling is on the wane following the UKGC’s decision to ban them in 2020.
Other e-wallet providers like PayPal and Neteller offer similar perks to Skrill, including high levels of security, rapid transactions on both ends, and decent availability. Likewise, the same drawbacks also apply — fees are likely to be incurred when moving funds from your e-wallet account, and bonus eligibility at online casinos may be limited.
The main benefits of using Paysafecard are twofold: first, it’s highly secure; second, there are strict limits on deposit amounts, meaning it’s an excellent option for those on a tight budget. Paysafecard runs on a voucher-based system. These vouchers can be purchased either online or in physical retail stores, and each comes with a unique 16-digit PIN, which users upload to their casino site in order to make a deposit. There are, however, very limited opportunities to withdraw funds, so this option will need to be used in conjunction with another.
Interested in using cryptocurrencies to pay for your wagers? Bitcoin and other digital currencies are now available at some US casino sites, offering some of the highest limits and fastest transactions. Before you jump into the world of crypto, we urge our readers to carry out their own research first. Since crypto values can be extremely volatile, trading with them is in itself like a form of gambling, so make sure you understand them before you set up a wallet.
Direct bank transfer is the oldest banking technology on our list, but it’s a safe and trusted method used by millions of Americans every day. Limits on both deposits and withdrawals are higher than most other options, but withdrawal times are the slowest, sometimes taking up to seven working days.
Games at Skrill Casinos
At the best Skrill casinos, you’ll be spoilt for choice in terms of games. These sites have thousands of different titles in their game libraries, covering all the most popular genres of casino games. Let’s take a look at what these are.
With the exception of one or two, all software providers desire to be the best at developing the online casino industry’s most popular game: slots. This gambling medium is like a blank canvas — no theme, style, or aesthetic is too bold or cooky, with developers drawing inspiration from tales of folklore, ancient civilisations, popular culture, and stories of the everyday. Microgaming, NetEnt and Play’n GO are three of the most popular developers in this space, but the industry is served by a rich ecosystem of software creators.
Where will you find a home? In the low-reel games designed in the style of the mechanical machines of old? How about high-octane video slots with multiple bonus rounds, or chaotic titles that adopt the revolutionary Megaways payline structure? Or perhaps you’re swayed by the allure of big potential rewards in the best progressive jackpot slots? All of this and more is available at the top Skrill casinos.
For many, images of the casino conjure up well-dressed players sitting at the luxurious green-felt table. The online gambling world certainly hasn’t neglected this, and you’ll be able to play all of the world’s most popular table games at casinos with Skrill. Players don’t require high levels of skill to play these games, but compared to slots, there’s a little more to them than meets the eye, with many betting strategies formulated over these games’ illustrious histories.
So, whether you fancy hitting 21 in blackjack, making some interesting inside bets at the roulette wheel, or channeling your inner James Bond in a game of baccarat, Skrill casinos will have you covered.
Poker is the world’s most popular card game, typically pitting players against each other as opposed to the house. Since there are so many dedicated poker sites, online casinos are less concerned with providing an outstanding range of poker games, but you’ll still be able to play all your favorite variants, including Texas Hold’em, Stud Poker, Omaha, and more.
Video poker will also be available. Much like a slot machine, it’s a game run on a random number generator that follows the rules of five-card draw.
Live Dealer Games
Live dealer games exploded onto the online gambling scene in the mid-2000s following the establishment of Evolution Gaming — a software provider synonymous with this gaming genre. Also known as live casino games, this section of the online casino features games live streamed from authentic casino environments — the idea is to simulate a real casino experience all from the comfort of your own home. It’s proved hugely popular, and it’s now hard to imagine a gambling site without its own live casino.
Skrill Casino Bonuses
You’ll be wanting to know about the kinds of bonuses you might be able to pick up at casinos with Skrill — take a look at the bonus types below, bearing in mind that Skrill could be listed on the list of payment exclusions.
You might be awarded a bundle of free spins when you first sign up to a casino to use on the slots. As an existing customer, free spins can also be granted in exchange for a minimum deposit.
Another popular form of welcome bonus is a matched deposit, where the casino agrees to contribute to your bankroll. This could be an offer of 100% up to $50, which would double any deposit up to that amount.
No Deposit Bonus
Another type of sign-up offer comes in the form of a no deposit bonus. It’s exactly the same as above, only there’s no requirement to make a deposit. Amounts are smaller as a result.
No Wagering Bonus
All of these bonuses come with terms and conditions, one of which is wagering requirements. This condition requires players to spend extra money at the casino before they can withdraw bonus cash, but with no wagering bonuses, no such requirement exists.
Get Started at a Skrill Casino
Like the sound of using Skrill at a US casino site? Then we’ve done all the hard work for you — take a look at our recommendations of the best Skrill casinos, compare features, and find the right one for you.