Whether you’re a newcomer to the scene or a longtime player, there are plenty of opportunities to land some profit when betting on League of Legends. Looking for your best bet? We’ll take you through everything you need to know before adding to your bet slip.
What, Where and When?
League of Legends is by far the most popular game in the world of esports. Developed and published by Riot Games, the game boasts an astonishing 100 million users per month. With such a competitive esports scene, this number is set to continue growing.
As a multiplayer online battle arena game, League of Legends is extremely complex and challenging, combining real-time strategy with role-playing game elements.
While most of League of Legends’ premier esports tournaments take place during the Spring and Summer, you’ll find that events take place throughout the year. Each week, you’ll find teams from various leagues, including the North American, European, Chinese and Korean leagues facing off against two of their fellow league competitors. Following the conclusion of each regular season, regional playoffs commence.
How to play
How to play League of Legends
League of Legends is an extremely complex game and as you can imagine, is incredibly difficult to master. The world’s best League of Legends players dedicate huge amounts of time in order to rank among the world’s best, but this doesn’t mean you have to in order to become a successful League of Legends esports bettor. However, when placing bets on League of Legends, or any other esports game, we’d recommend at least having a basic understanding of how the game is played. You’ll be able to make smarter bets at the bookies and follow the progress of your bets with ease.
League of Legends is contested between two teams of five. Players on team red and blue pick champions out of a pool of over 140 options at the beginning of each game. The two sets of players then proceed to battle in a two-sided virtual arena, with the objective of destroying the opponent’s Nexus, which is the main structure inside a team’s base.
Every champion possesses a unique set of abilities, which can be upgraded as you level up. Three of these abilities are available at level one, while the fourth –called the ultimate– becomes available at level six. In addition to these, you also have multiple Summoner Spells such as Smite, Teleport or Flash. You can choose two of them for your champion at the start of each game.
Players can also choose their champion’s primary and secondary development paths. There are five paths to choose from: Precision, Domination, Sorcery, Resolve, and Inspiration. These in turn contain a Keystone, Rune slots, and give your champion a Trait. All of which can translate into a variety of bonuses, such as increased movement speed, damage resistance and cooldown reduction.
Champions possess a number of attributes such as health, movement speed, attack damage, attack speed, armor, magic resist, health regeneration, and ability power. These attributes increase as you level up, or purchase items like Dead Man’s Plate, Guardian Angel, B.F. Sword and Luden’s Echo.
With such a large variety of champions to choose from and hundreds of items available for purchase, League of Legends has tremendous replay value for players, and is incredibly entertaining to watch and bet on for fans of its esports competitions.
Our Ranking Criteria
How We Review the Best League of Legends Betting Sites
Every League of Legends betting site we recommend at Compare.bet has been rigorously tested by our experts to be certain it’s up to snuff. While every bettor has their own idea of what’s important, we look at every angle so you can make an informed decision. Here are some different factors we consider.
- Licensing – an up-to-date gambling licence from the UKGC is the first thing we look for. It’s a legal requirement for all bookmakers in the UK, and we’ll blacklist operators that don’t have one. These licences provide a degree of protection to bettors, as bookies must meet standards around data protection, security, and fair play.
- Betting Markets – the best LoL esports betting sites don’t just offer simple markets on the match winner. You’ll also be able to place more specific types of bets on things like first kill and correct score. Outside of LoL, we like to see a broad array of sports and esports markets covered.
- Betting Site Features – does the League of Legends betting site provide modern features like in-play betting, early cash out, bet editing, and live streaming? Such features previously differentiated sites, but are becoming a must at all top bookmakers.
- Payment Options – flexible payment options let punters deposit and withdraw cash in a way that suits them. Support for multiple e-wallets is great to see, along with prepaid cards and pay by phone services. A few frontrunners may even support cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin.
- Site Design and UX – you don’t notice great design unless it’s missing. The best LoL betting sites make it easy to find what you’re looking for, with a glitch-free betting experience wrapped up in crisp, modern graphics.
- Mobile – a sportsbook fully optimised for mobile browsers is table stakes at this point, but the very best League of Legends betting sites offer native apps you can download. These offer a more bespoke mobile experience with the fastest loading times and additional functionality.
- Bonuses – generous bonuses and promotions are often the deciding factor when choosing which League of Legends betting site to sign up with. We pore over the terms and conditions of both the welcome bonus and existing player offers to determine the true value.
- Customer Support – prompt and friendly customer support is invaluable when your money’s on the line. 24/7 live chat is becoming increasingly popular, but we like to see support for phone and email too.
Teams & Players
The Best League of Legends Teams and Players
A popular tactic amongst novice esports punters is to back the bookies’ favourite. The best players and teams in the world will usually be odds on favourites in a League of Legends match. Sure, you’re likely to win more often than not when adopting this tactic — but the bookies aren’t always right! Before placing your League of Legends bets, we’d recommend looking at head-to-head records, recent form, and individual player stats. Here are some of the top LoL teams and players to get you started.
Regarded by some as the best League team of all time, the South Korean T1 is a force to be reckoned with. Having picked up wins at the League of Legends World Championship in 2013, 2015, and 2016, T1’s win rate sits at a whopping 74% — 343 wins to 122 losses.
Star players on the current roster include Lee ‘Faker’ Sang-hyeok and Lee ‘Gumayusi’ Min-hyeong. T1’s head coach is currently Bae ‘Bengi’ Seong-woong, who played for the team when it picked up its three Worlds titles.
Much of the LoL competitive scene is dominated by South Korean teams, and Gen.G is another example. The team picked up its first LCK win in 2022, qualifying it for the World Championship, although it was knocked out in the semi-finals by DRX. Forbes lists Gen.G as the sixth most valuable esports team in the world, worth around $185 million.
Formerly known as DragonX, DRX is a South Korean team with two back-to-back wins in LCK — 2017 Summer and 2018 Spring. The team also found victory at the 2022 League of Legends World Championship. One noteworthy player on the current DRX roster is Kim ‘Deft’ Hyuk-kyu.
Royal Never Give Up
Chinese team Royal Never Give Up, also known as RNG, is one of the top-ranked LoL teams, boasting a 69% win rate and over $3.75 million in prize money. In the past, RNG has won the Mid-Season Invitational three times — 2018, 2021, and 2022.
JD Gaming is another Chinese League of Legends team. It has two rosters: one that competes in the LPL and has won it twice; and the Joy Dream academy roster that competes in the League of Legends Developmental League (LDL). The main roster reached the semi-finals of the Worlds in 2022 but was knocked out by T1.
League of Legends Betting Site Bonuses
Bonuses are one of the main ways an online betting site will try to entice you through their doors instead of the competition’s. Pick wisely and you could reap some serious value. Click through the tabs below to discover a few of the bonus types you can use to bet on League of Legends.
Fancy placing a bet on League of Legends without risking your own cash? A free bet bonus lets you do just that, and can be unlocked in a variety of ways. No deposit free bets are given as soon as you sign up, while others require a minimum deposit to receive them. Bet X, Get Y deals reward punters once they make a qualifying bet of the minimum amount, and risk-free bets refund the stake as free bet credit if your qualifying wager loses.
Free bets come in many different sizes — typically £5 at minimum, and up to £20 or more. Larger free bet offers may be split into multiple bet tokens. It’s important to note that free bets can’t be withdrawn and usually the stake is not returned. Instead, you only keep the profit from a winning free bet, which can be withdrawn once you’ve met any applicable wagering requirements.
Matched deposits are a type of bonus that scales to the value of your qualifying deposit. Say you see a 100% deposit match up to £100. If you were to deposit £75, you’d get another £75 in bonus bet credit, giving you a total of £150 to wager.
This betting credit is separate to your real money balance and can’t be withdrawn. It may also come with certain restrictions — for example, it may not be valid for live betting or cash out. Any bets you place must meet the minimum odds, typically around 1/2. Furthermore, winnings resulting from a matched deposit bonus may be subject to wagering requirements. Read the full T&Cs before you sign up so you know the limitations of the offer.
For existing customers, cashback is one of the most worthwhile promotions to take advantage of. With this bonus, you’ll receive a percentage of total losses in a certain period back, either as real cash you can withdraw or bet credit. We usually see cashback offers sitting around the 1%–10% mark. Once you’ve signed up, check if you need to opt in to benefit. At some League of Legends betting sites, you may only be able to claim cashback once your betting balance falls below a certain level, typically £10.
League of Legends Betting Markets
Once you’ve had a look through some recent statistics, you’ll be ready to place your bets on upcoming League of Legends esports matches. Here’s a list of the most popular betting markets you can expect to find at top esports betting sites:
- Tournament winner: here, you are betting on a certain team to win a particular tournament.
- Tournament finalist: here, you are betting on a certain team to qualify for the Grand Final of a particular tournament.
- Match winner: here, you are betting on a certain team to win a particular match.
- Game winner: here, you are betting on a certain team to win a particular game within a match. League of Legends matches are usually played in a Best-of-1, Best-of-3 or Best-of-5 format.
- Game event: here, you are betting on the occurrence of a certain event within a particular game, such as a player getting a Pentakill.
- First team to accomplish something: these types of betting odds allow you to predict which team will be the first to get First Blood, destroy the first Inhibitor, kill the first Baron and so on.
- Handicaps: here, you are betting that a certain team will win a particular match while starting with either an advantage or a handicap, such as being 1.5 games behind (-1.5) or 1.5 games ahead (+1.5).
League of Legends Tournaments
LoL is one of the most popular esports around, and there are plenty of tournaments taking place around the globe each year. Here are some of the main events in the League of Legends calendar.
- League of Legends World Championship – Also known as Worlds, this tournament is hosted by Riot Games and is the final act of the LoL competitive season. Only the very best teams make it this far, all competing for the Summoner’s Cup and a share of the substantial prize pool. 2022 Worlds was held between Mexico City, New York, Atlanta, and San Francisco. DRX snatched the title from T1 with a 3–2 win, enjoying a 22% share of the total $2,225,000 prize money.
- League of Legends Champions Korea – The LCK is South Korea’s top regional LoL tournament, with 10 teams competing twice a year. It’s run by Riot Games and KeSPA. Gen.G picked up their third win at LCK Summer 2022 against T1, in a reversal of the outcome of the Spring 2022 final. T1 holds the most LCK titles — 10 in total.
- League of Legends Pro League – Run by Tencent, the LPL is China’s top-level professional LoL tournament. It consists of a round robin regular season, with the top eight teams advancing to the play-offs. The league runs twice a year — JD Gaming took the Summer 2022 win against Top Esports.
- League Championship Series – The LCS brings together the best US and Canadian LoL teams in a fierce competition for the number one spot. All matches are held at Riot Games’ own studios in Los Angeles. Cloud9 took the win at LCS Summer 2022, securing their fifth title and a $100,000 prize.
- League of Legends European Championship – The LEC is the highest level of competition in the EMEA (Europe, Middle East, and Africa) region. Like other regional League tournaments, it’s organised in two splits, spring and summer. After a group stage, the top six teams move forward to the play-offs. Matches are played at the Riot Games studio in Berlin, Germany. G2 Esports is the team with the most wins — nine in total — but was denied a tenth by Rogue in a crushing 3–0 defeat at LEC Summer 2022.
- Mid-Season Invitational – The MSI comes second in importance only to the World Championship. It’s held once a year, with each winner of the spring regional league splits taking part. There are three stages — the group stage, rumble stage, and knockout stage. MSI 2022 was held in Busan, South Korea. Royal Never Give Up were crowned champions after defeating T1 3–2, taking home a $75,000 share of the $250,000 prize pool.
Live Betting at the Best LoL Betting Sites
Not sure who to bet on before the match begins, and want to see which team is on top before placing your wager? Or perhaps you want to get involved with some of the exclusive in-play betting markets, such as next round winner. Many League of Legends betting sites let punters get involved once the match has already begun, a feature referred to as live betting. With live betting, you’ll get greater flexibility over when you place your bet — and timing it wisely can sometimes lead to a significant payout!
While you can follow plenty of LoL matches via YouTube and Twitch, our favourite League of Legends betting sites integrate streaming of games directly into their sportsbook interfaces. That way, you won’t miss a second of the action while constructing your live bets. This feature is generally free to use, although you may be required to make a deposit before you can access it.
Placed a bet and having second thoughts? Or maybe your team is close to the win but the opposition is making a rapid comeback. With cash out, you can lock in a profit or minimise a loss by settling the bet early for an adjusted price. Some LoL betting sites let you ‘edit’ your bets too, by cashing out the bet and using the returns to place a new wager.
In order to facilitate in-play betting, League of Legends betting sites must provide live odds that update in real time with each twist and turn of the match. These can fluctuate suddenly, and timing your bet correctly can make all the difference. Thorough knowledge of the game itself — and a keen eye for player form — is the best way to up your chances of winning a live bet.
League of Legends Betting Site Payment Options
In order to bet on League of Legends and other esports events, you’ll have to deposit funds in your betting account. Below are some different banking methods you’ll find at our recommended online esports betting sites.
Debit cards like Visa and Mastercard are the most popular deposit and withdrawal method at League of Legends betting sites. They’re quick and familiar to use, and there’s no need to sign up for an additional account. Another plus is that debit cards are always eligible when claiming a betting bonus. Deposits arrive instantly, but withdrawals tend to take around 3–5 business days. Visa Fast Funds is the exception here — where it’s supported, you’ll receive payouts within an hour of the request being processed if you’re a Visa debit card holder.
One of the most popular e-wallets among online bettors is PayPal. Once you’ve signed up for a free account, you can store different payment cards within the account. You can then transact with your email and password, keeping your bank details private. Withdrawals are speedy with PayPal and usually arrive the same day you request them. However, the service is frequently excluded from claiming betting offers.
Payments intermediary Trustly allows punters to make direct transfers to and from the League of Legends betting site using their usual online banking credentials. It’s free to use, supporting instant deposits and withdrawals within 24 hours. Trustly isn’t supported at every site but is a great alternative to e-wallets if you’d rather not sign up for an additional account.
If you want the combined benefits of an e-wallet and a prepaid card, AstroPay is the answer. This free service lets users generate virtual prepaid cards on the fly, which can then be used to top up your betting balance without sharing your bank details. Withdrawals to AstroPay are quick, usually landing within a day. As with other e-wallets, it may be excluded from claiming a welcome bonus.
Want to keep close tabs on your spend or keep your bank details 100% private? Paysafecard is a prepaid card which can be bought in retailers with a value of £10–£100. Using the 16-digit code printed on the voucher, you can securely transfer the funds to your betting wallet. The main drawback of Paysafecard is there’s no support for withdrawals, so you’ll need to use another method to cash out.
Bet on League of Legends
Now we’ve taken you through the ins and outs of League of Legends betting, you probably fancy a flutter on the next big tournament! Looking for a top League of Legends bookie? Check out our list for the very best esports betting sites available today. The bookies on our list are packed full of the best bonuses, markets and promos on the market. All that’s left for you to do is compare, sign up and place your bets!
How do I claim my new customer offer at an esports bookie?
Choosing between top bookies is easier said than done. To appear as a more enticing option, bookies offer generous welcome bonuses to new customers. You can claim yours in a matter of minutes. Once you’ve chosen a top esports bookie from our list, follow our link to sign up and become eligible for your exclusive welcome bonus. Your bonus funds will almost always be credited immediately after your first deposit or bet, depending on the terms of your chosen new customer offer.
Can I bet on League of Legends in-play?
Yes. The top bookies offer live markets for in-play League of Legends events, allowing you to place bets on markets including match result, round betting and handicap.
Should I follow League of Legends betting tips?
As the most popular game on the esports scene, it should come as no surprise that there are plenty of websites and social media pages dedicated to providing League of Legends betting advice and predictions from ‘expert tipsters’. While there’s nothing wrong with following these tips, we’d always recommend doing your own research. At the very least, you’ll be able to judge whether or not the tips are worth following. Blindly following the tips of others is never a good idea, no matter how good the tipster’s track record is.
Is there an esports betting strategy that guarantees profit?
No. While there are many popular strategies that bettors may have enjoyed success using, such as the matched betting, Martingale and Fibonacci systems, there is no way to guarantee profit. Systems such as these simply provide guidance for your staking patterns and don’t alter your chances of landing a winner. This is purely because it is impossible to guarantee the outcome of a League of Legends game. While a match may have a heavy favourite, there is still always an outside chance of an upset.
Which bookie offers the best odds for League of Legends betting?
We’ve filtered a long list of betting sites down to just the cream of the crop, so you can expect the to the very bests odds on the market when betting at any of the bookies on our list. You won’t find too much variation between the prices on offer at these top sites, as bookies constantly update odds to remain competitive with one another. If you fancy some extra value on your betslip, keep an eye out for Betway’s esports enhanced odds offers!